Seeing gambling websites and advertising online can be challenging if you’re trying to cut back or stop gambling. There are steps you can take to limit your exposure to gambling when you’re online.
Adjust your settings
You have control over online security and advertising settings in the browser, social media and websites that you use. For example, you can block gambling advertisers in your Google Chrome browser by following these simple steps:
- Go to settings or click on manage your Google account.
- In the left column, locate data and personalisation and select it.
- Scroll down and look for ad personalisation
- Click on it and slide it off.
You can also download Adblock Plus or similar extensions and configure them to work on your browser or phone apps.
If you use Facebook, you can adjust your ads preferences to limit gambling advertising.
- Click on the down arrow in the top right of any Facebook page and click Settings.
- Click Ads in the left sidebar.
- From your Ad Preferences page, you can update your interests, choose what Facebook information is used to show you ads and adjust your general ad settings.
Use blocking software
Blocking software is designed to stop you from accessing certain websites. There are two types available:
- General blocking software is designed to set access authorisations or parental controls to prevent access to a range of sites.
- Gambling-specific blocking software blocks gambling websites.
Net Nanny is a general blocking software that can monitor and block internet content in various categories, including gambling. It can also track search engine usage, enforce safe search and receive warnings for flagged words (e.g. poker, casino). Net Nanny can also be used to place daily time limits on device use.
There is also blocking software available just for gambling. These include:
- Gamban: www.gamban.com (Android, Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS)
- Gamblock: www.gamblock.com (Android Phones and Windows PCs)
- Bet Filter: www.betfilter.com (Android, Windows, iOS, and Mac)
- Bet Blocker: https://betblocker.org (Linux, Windows, and Mac)
The user reviews and ratings in your app store might help you decide which one is right for you.
If you want to explore other options for managing your gambling, you can contact Gambling Help on 1800 858 858 or www.gamblinghelponline.org.au for free and confidential advice and support.